Saturday, November 12, 2011

Did Someone Say Brussels

November has been a world wind of a month so far ... and it's just the beginning. First, I had my parents in town, then Fiona's goodbye festivities, plus Tashi and Paul in town, and lastly, a short trip to Brussels. Now, that I'm back in Paris, and my parents, Fiona, Tashi and Paul have all left, I'm not too sure what to do with myself....

Brussels (the spots are rain drops)


The original reason for heading to Brussels was so Tashi could go to a Smashing Pumpkins concert (Umm, I didn't even know they were still around) and to eat as many pomme frites (french fries) that is humanely possible. A round-trip bus ticket from Paris to Brussels is only 45 euros, so I really couldn't say no! Paul and I passed on the Smashing Pumpkins show, as the last time I heard one of their songs it was the early 90s. My trip to Brussels was short, two nights one day, but definitely worth it! We had a blast! Plus, as a bonus, I actually found some beers that I like, which we all know is pretty amazing!


Of course the trip was not all about finding a beer I can tolerate. We did discover Brussels best pomme frites at Maison Antoinette, the best Belgium Liege waffles (there are actually two Belgium waffle recipes one from Brussels and one from Liege, personally, I prefer the Liege style waffle) out of a minivan decorated with smurfs, and Brussels oldest bar named Au Bon Vieux Temps. Believe it or not, we were also able to sneak in some education on our trip with a quick visit to the European Parliament.

European Parliament in Session


Two cool things we stumbled upon were an electric zip car program (boy, is the USA behind!) and pieces of the Berlin wall. Surprisingly, there is very little bit of the structure left in Berlin.


I definitely recommend a trip to Belgium, unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to go to Ghent and Bruges but there's still next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment