Monday, April 30, 2012

Running Dreams



The commencement of Spring, has not only brought some serious April showers (I don't even remember the last time we had a day sans rain) but I've been inundated with a serious amount of visitors which shall continue thru May.  Springtime in Paris brings cherry blossoms and a copious amount of tourist not to mention that April in Paris (just like Boston) means marathon season!  About 40,000 people gathered in Paris to run the marathon on Sunday, April 14th, 2012 (I was not one of the motivated!). 

That cold gray Sunday morning, I woke up, grabbed my fleece, and hopped downstairs to watch the marathoners run by, while my houseguest snoozed away.  Lucky me with front row seats near the 31km/19m marker.  I was on the search for my friend Kay and my cousins, Orit and Shai (who flew in from Israel for the event), to cheer them on!  It was a raw morning with bone chilling winds which might be perfect for the marathoners… yet, not so ideal for the brilliant me who ran downstairs wearing just a fleece and yoga pants.  However, I was motivated to be an excellent cheerleader, so I could not leave my post to add more layers.  Almost four hours later, with frozen hands and a creative little dance going on in attempt to keep myself warm, I realized that I missed my loved ones in the mass of runners.  

Marathons always resurge that secret desire to be a marathoner (see blog post Slowly But Surely).  So the next day when I met up with Orit and Shai and listened to all the reasons on why I should start training for a marathon … I was somewhat motivated!  Orit even encouraged (or bribed) me by saying that if I ran the Tel Aviv marathon in March 2013 she'll be my running buddy.  Now, that sounds like a good deal!  For the past couple of weeks, I've been seriously contemplating the idea, and slowly planting hints to friends that traveling to Israel next March would be a fabulous vacation … I'm selfishly looking for cheerleaders! ;) 

If only I could start running on a consistent basis!  Any takers for the marathon challenge?  




Check out the British flag costume! 

2 comments:

  1. Do it!! I bet Lori Busch would be interested in running with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally think you should do it! I can't be with you in Tel Aviv BUT would consider a 5K in the states (preferable CA haha). xo

    ReplyDelete