Monday, December 12, 2011

Has Someone Been Brainwashed



Recently, I watched the film "Exit Through the Gift Shop," an Oscar-nominated documentary directed by Bansky, an elusive British street artist. The film tells the story of a French man, living in Los Angeles, named Thierry Guetta, who develops a fetish of video taping every waking moment of his life. On a trip back to his homeland France, through his cousin, the internationally known artist, Invader, he develops an interest in street art.

[Side note: Invader's art (small tiled Space Invaders (remember Atari) characters, are throughout the streets of Paris. I had a small collection of photos last year - lost! But restarting to take photos with my new iPhone :) maybe a future blog… In the meantime, I have been posting some street art on Twitter.]



Without ruining the film, Guetta starts following around many street artists from Shepard Fairey to Banksy, and in the end becomes a street artist himself, known as MBW (Mr. Brainwash). If you haven't seen the film yet I definitely recommend checking it out. If you're questioning why I'm talking about some random documentary that premiered back in 2010 …



Well, with Dana in town, and us eating our way thru Paris, I took her to quite a few restaurants that I wanted to discover. I probably took her to one too many places, as she had to leave the pepto behind, so I can recover.



One of my new favorites is MBC (pour Menthe, Basilic, Coriandre), a creation of Chef Gilles Choukroun, located in the 17th arrondissement of Paris. The food was delicious and the decor was gorgeous! The walls were designed in graffiti and street art style.


With Invader being Parisian and all … I really couldn't help but think that there is some correlation between MBC and MBW, I just find it way to coincidental!


2 comments:

  1. Yet another great restaurant that you introduced me to! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you'd like the movie!

    ReplyDelete