Friday, October 7, 2011

La Semaine Pour L'Emploi

This week is La semaine pour l’emploi (Employment Week) and Thursday and Friday is Paris Pour L’Emploi (Paris Jobs) – how perfect for someone who’s looking for a job. I have to admit I was skeptical … How helpful would this job fair be for someone who is looking for a legal job? My only similar experience was way back when I was a law student and local Boston law schools held on-campus job fairs for students. The good fatherly advice I received was that it was best to attend, at least to make contacts. So, yesterday morning, I got all dolled up (as a lawyer of course) and headed out to the job fair.

Umm … Yeah, I was right, a complete waste of time. The theme of the event was me being told to check out the website for legal opportunities. Super helpful thanks! Then I waited about 20-30 minutes in line to speak to two different recruiting companies. [Side note: from my current job search I’m not such a fan of recruiters or should I say, have not met one yet who actually works but I won’t rant on that issue. If anyone has a contact/ recommendation for me, please forward :o) it’ll be greatly appreciated.] When it was finally my turn, one told me that she was only dealing with finance, banking, and accounting jobs at the fair and the other said that I had to contact a different company because my modest salary request was too high.

I’m not one for crowds and I think half of Paris was stuffed into these tents and it was super hot. This kind of environment causes irritability. Have you ever noticed that massive amounts of people in small spaces cause people to lose all common decency? I’m not sure why, pushing and shoving is really not going to get you anywhere quicker. And then you always have the person who is in his/her own little world who just stops short to pause and think and cause either an accident or traffic jam. So basically, the only thing I did accomplish yesterday was sweat in my brand new suit but on the bright side I did get to wear my new suit ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment