Sunday, August 29, 2010

Fete de Ganesh

I have a mini obsession with all things Indian. I have bribed a few friends for Indian recipes and own ever spice needed to cook a classic Indian meal. Most of all, I secretly want a Hindu wedding. So when I heard about the Fete de Ganesh I knew it was something I could not miss! Three subway lines and 37 minutes later, I entered a section of Paris that was transformed into a mini India, for at least the next couple of hours.

Ganesh, one of the most widely celebrated Hindu deities, is the Remover of Obstacles and the Lord of Beginnings. Every year the Indian and Sri Lanka Tamil community celebrate Ganesh in the streets of Paris. Lucky Me! The event was three hours long and included coconut smashing, mini fires, and plenty of dancing. I took about 300 photos!

Ortel is a mobile company, so this is just advertising but I liked the costume.












3 comments:

  1. WOW!! What absolutely gorgeous pictures!! You've got a great eye!! Yay for blogs, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures, Anouk! It looks like an amazing event!!

    ReplyDelete