Saturday, August 21, 2010

Some Yolk & Oil

Generally, I am not a fan of mayonnaise I may even despise it. Sometimes I can't even get past the smell of it, so generally I avoid anything that looks saturated with mayonnaise. I remember a night out when a somewhat tipsy friend of mine decided to make toast and mayonnaise as a snack (or maybe it was miracle whip - even worse) I wanted to puke.

The other night at dinner with some American visitors of mine, I found myself eating mayonnaise with bread ... Sacre Bleu! Actually, the three of us were eating bread with mayonnaise while we were waiting for our meals. As most culinary inventions, it was an accident, we didn't realize it was mayonnaise at first.

Historically, mayonnaise originated in Spain but the French popularized it. There is fresh mayonnaise everywhere and it beats anything in a jar - sorry Hellmann's. Even the food processors come with a special blade for making mayonnaise. Now, I don't foresee that I will be eating bread and mayonnaise going forward but I have a newfound respect for the condiment. So for fun, I decided to make my own homemade mayonnaise.

Homemade Mayonnaise
1 egg yolk (must be extremely fresh)
dijon mustard
a mild vegetable oil
lemon juice
sea salt





3 comments:

  1. I just finished Julia Child's book "My Life in France". She devoted several weeks of her life perfecting a recipe for homemade mayonnaise. I thought it was charming. Glad you've found a way to enjoy a truly French condiment without disliking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am going to ask Rich make some mayo this weekend (you know he's the chef of the house ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait. That sounds a little too familiar. I LOVE miracle whip and toast!
    Sorry Anouk... can't imagine giving up my miracle whip for the real thing... what other recipes ya got?? ;) xo

    ReplyDelete