Thursday, August 12, 2010

Joining the 21st Century

I know many people who have used the internet to meet people, whether it was meet-up groups or online dating, and yes, I have heard many success stories. However, against the wishes and better judgments of many friends, I have always been anti-internet. Call me old fashion, but I have always believed that I would have been more successful in another decade, maybe even century.

I guess being in a foreign country opens your eyes to opportunities that you wouldn't have considered in the comfort of your own environment. After coming to the realization that I most likely will not meet anyone in my new wonderful City if I don't put myself out there, I began to peruse some expatriate websites and responded to a request for assistance in English in exchange for French.

Only after I actually responded did I think about the consequences of my actions, which was fueled by my parents' lecture on how I better be careful. What if this person was the next American Psycho ... I guess that would be French Psycho ... oh my, what have I done? I calmed my fears by telling myself this was the 21st century and everyone meets on the internet nowadays. Plus with the name JB (same as my junior high crush), how bad could this French guy be? So, I proceeded with my rendezvous.

On a street corner, I met my mysterious soon to be language partner, who just happened to be a handsome and charming Frenchman. Score! Never thought practicing French would be so easy. JB took me to the top of a department store named Printemps, where there is a hidden cafe only known to the locals. I got to see a beautiful 360-degree view of the City with my own private tour guide and without the lines of the Eiffel Tower. Plus, I now have plans for the weekend to meet up with JB and his friends. Umm, why was I so anti-internet ... should have done this years ago. Now, for all my friends out there who have pressured me to do online dating ... don't get too excited I haven't come that far, I mean really, it's still me.


8 comments:

  1. Whoooo-hoooooo!! I hope you have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love, love it!! but keep all meetings to public places for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, this posting shit is way to hard to do...i've just wasted 40 mins of my work day...so i'm not going to repeat what i had originally and excitedly written as a comment to nooks' posting...but i'll give a summary...

    OMG so excited for you! even if JB doesn't turn out to be parisian summer fling that all of us wish to experience vicariously, he is a teacher, a student, a friend, a potential lover, a connection, and a tourguide all in one! :) i cannot wait to meet him. xoxo Bon chance avec le bank, aussi! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, and 1 more thing: I TOLD YA SO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay yay yay! so, any updates with JB?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember JB!! Saw him at our 10 year reunion. This is just too funny that this guy is JB too. What are the odds?? -Leila

    ReplyDelete